Pageviews last month

Monday, November 26, 2007

Back on the Crotch


As we had hoped, Court was cleared by Dr. Kim to leave Catholic Medical Center this morning and we've just arrived at
Crotched Mountain. It's good to be back.

We've had a few days to discuss the pros and cons of having a defibrillator implant with the doctors, with each other and, of course, Courtney. The only decision that has been thus far is that she keeps the defibrillator deactivated for the time being and within the next six weeks she will have the
detached lead wire removed from her heart before tissue grows over it.

The debate for Courtney will be whether to opt for a brand new defibrillator implant or move on without one. We covered many questions over the holiday weekend, but the arguments are complex for both sides (I'll try to break them down as we progress). The defibrillator topic is also not one of Courtney's favorites when she's given the choice between risking another cardiac arrest or implant malfunction.

She's happy to be back on track for rehab, the mountain is comforting to her and much more of a home than a hospital. Our stay in Manchester was a cause for reflection, we can count our blessings that we able address this problem early on in her recovery and not years down the road.

-Sean

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do the doctors now actually know what caused her cardiac arrest? Was it some kind of fibrillation problem or was it that ballooning out of her ventricle or both? And which one (if either) caused her heart muscle to die? Or do they know? It seems like you're going to have to get a good cardiologist to more accurately assess the problem, if they can. It's very frustrating not knowing what caused her cardiac arrest, isn't it? Anyway, I'm glad Court's back at the Crotch and a bit happier. Thanks for the update.

Keep up the good work you'll all doing! And take care of yourselves, too.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing to me the strength that you all possess. You are all handling this with intelligence & grace, even though it might not seem that way to you when you're in the midst of it........ESPECIALLY Courtney!
My love & prayers are with you all constantly.

Patricia

Anonymous said...

Courtney,

I just heard about everything that's been going on for you. Apparently I've been living under a rock or something! I'm so sorry to hear what you've been going through, but I just read all the updates about you and I'm so happy to hear that things are going well! You're a strong girl..you always have been. My biggest memory of you was eating PB & J sandwiches out on the picnic table at my house with your dad. I wonder if you remember that...I just wanted to leave you a note to let you know that I'm thinking about you.
Julie...my parents and are are thinking about you and the rest of the family, please let us know if there's anything you need here in Waldoboro. I'm glad you guys have so much support.

Love Megan Brock

Unknown said...

we are so relieved to hear you are back on the mountain. what a strong woman courtney is and what a strong support group she has with her.julie - let me know your mailing address at the house.
debbie